General Tax Credit Information
- Tax Credit donations are made to public schools from taxpayer contributions to help support extracurricular activities or character education programs.
- Taxpayer can designate their donation to either Schoolwide, Music or Athletic programs at your school, or they can select Undesignated.
- If an Undesignated donation is made, it will need your Site Council’s approval on how to spend the donation before funds can be expended.
- Expenses made on any designation must match the designation’s purpose (i.e.: Music related expenses in the Music designation budget).
- For expenditures to qualify under tax credit all of the following criteria must be met:
- The activity is sponsored by the district/school
- The activity is for enrolled students only
- The activity is optional to students
- The activity is non-credit (no academic credit is received for participation)
- The activity supplements the district/school’s education program
- Educational programs may be offered before, during & after regular school hours.
- Some common expenses are educational and competitive fieldtrips, guest speakers, etc.
- Monies cannot be used for events that are recreational, amusement or tourist activities. They also cannot be used for summer school programs.
- Cash Account – Can spend as long as there is cash in the account, unused cash carried forward to the following year.
ASK YOUR FINANCE DEPARTMENT TODAY ABOUT HOW YOU CAN USE TAX CREDIT MONEY TO BRING CHILDSPLAY TO YOUR SCHOOL OR TAKE YOUR STUDENTS TO THE THEATER!